Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Is There An Easier Way?

You may have noticed that most of my creations lately are egg shaped felted balls.
I have always made them by dry needle felting.
My previous experiments with wet felting balls weren't pretty! But... I was checking my Pinterest today and someone had a simple wet felting video that inspired me to try again. Not perfect but much better results. Also I can fix any problem areas when they're dry with my trusty needle!
I then remembered that I'd need to cover some of these with a color wool. That's hard work too, while I'm simplifying my life let's try to skip another step.
Pull out the drink mix and pour on the hot water!
Watch what happens.
Don't forget to turn. I had forgotten the vinegar to set the color but I added it later when I rinsed in hot clear water.
I'm sure there're a hundred things I did that one shouldn't do but I don't believe in following the rules all the time. If I have a problem with these, you'll be the first to know!

Another question you may have is why didn't I just start with the color wool I wanted to begin with. Well, colored wool that's clean and ready to go is expensive when you use a lot of it, using a base white is less costly.

3 comments:

  1. Oh very nice. I always buy the wool I use dirty and white, and do the rest myself. Just like you says, it sure saves a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one, thanks Joanne.

      Delete
  2. Nice colored ball! LOL Love it, that needle felting can be rough, I always stab myself at least a couple of times. Of course I'm a newbie at it. Not pro like yourself!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete