Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cupcakes and Scarves

My sister married into a big family that has many holiday get-togethers. These are the bunny cupcakes she made for Sunday. She gave me the low down on sugared marshmallow ears this morning. I thought she had chopped up peeps.

This is what I worked on yesterday. I picked up 2 yarns of different weight cotton that went well together. I experimented with the needle size until I was happy with the look of the loops. These yarns are a worsted #4 and a light #3, but use any 2 weights you like.

These are size 13 needles and the scarf on the left used 10 stitches. The scarf on the right, knitted long ways, has 100 stitches. I'll let you know how that works out. If you were using heavier weight yarns you'd use bigger needles. Which I will play with later!

This just in, size 13 needles and 100 stitches gave me a 39" scarf. Next time I'd try 125 stitches.

3 comments:

  1. Is it straight knitting? How'd you get the loops? Do you use both yarns together, or are you striping it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sorry straight knitting. I was trying to give the details and left a big one out. The loops are made from the big needles and I'm using one strand of yarn at a time and carrying the other along the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just looks great, like a soft fuzzy watermelon. I can't believe it's straight knitting, it looks complex and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete