Once I made squirrel's tail I wondered what to do with it. I could stuff it and sew it on at the top and bottom. I could leave it flat and sew it on. But I thought it might be fun to have a tail you could have up or down. So I started thinking wire.
I didn't want it too hard like electrical wire. I did have some floral wire and for strength I used 2 pieces. I needed the place where the wires connected out of the way and secured.
There are many ways to handle a project like this, even someone at the craft store was giving me ideas. How cool is that! He's a prototype, it only gets better after him.