Monday, April 7, 2014

Little Leather Books

My craft room is coming along great but we are only working weekends and we'd still like to refinish the floor. So I've pulled back the plastic, determined to do a small project.
A friend asked how I've made little leather books in the past.
I've made them as presents so I've never posted this project.
This is the easiest way I know to make one without sewing the pages.
There is lots of measuring to do. The leather cover needs to be wider and taller than the pages...
and you must include the middle or end binding to the cover measurement length.
I've marked the middle here...
and I'm including a page marker.
I've glued the page marker in with hot glue and I use the tip of the glue gun to smooth out any bumps.
Now it's good to smear a layer of hot glue on the folded page edges.
You'll want to have everything on hand and work quickly now! I put more glue on the leather cover along that marked inside middle. Now push your pages on your inside cover middle. It's hard to show but you'll notice above some blobby glue along the edge. This is when I use my glue gun tip to smooth them out. One side at a time I put a thin streaky layer of glue on the inside leather cover. Working quickly I make sure my page lines up and press the end page onto the glued cover. Then do the other side!
Use your glue gun tip as a tool to smooth bumps and reset or re-glue pages.
Here you go, you can use a needle to piece the top binding and add a jump ring to wear this book as a necklace. You can make any size you like!

1 comment:

  1. These are so adorable! Thanks for showing us how you do it! Hope you are doing well and good to hear from you!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete