Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Just One Jar

My goal this year has been to grow as many ingredients as I could to make my own pickles. It started in the fall when we planted garlic. Dill and dill seeds are easy to grow though this year I didn't use my own. Making vinegar is easy but always use 5% acidity store bought vinegar for safety reasons. And now the cucumbers are starting to come in. I had about 6 small cukes, enough for one pint... did I have to eat all the cukes and wait for a larger bunch to come in at one time???

My brine recipe calls for 6 cups of vinegar, 8 cups of water and 1/2 cup salt (I always use Kosher). I also toss in dill and mustard seed. This recipe makes 7 to 9 pints. Since I only needed enough brine for 1 pint I broke it down.

4 pints
3c vinegar
4c water
1/4c salt

2 pints
1 1/2c vinegar
2c water
1/8c salt

I'm using any extra brine to make refrigerator pickles later!

Making pickles is so easy so don't be afraid to try it yourself. This is where I found my favorite pickle making instructions: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09304.html

No comments:

Post a Comment